Qu'ality Appreciation for Natural Beauty

            On Tuesday, July 9, 2013, I had the opportunity to speak with a Multi-talented artist that goes by the name of Qu’ality.  He created such a beautifully appreciative song about us Natural-haired Sistahs! It is now considered by many to be the Natural Hair Anthem.  Because of the lyrical content, I couldn't agree more; which is why I had to reach out to him to express gratitude and thanks, as well as find out more about the artist so I could share with everyone I know who cares as much about Natural Beauty as I do.
I can truly say that Qu’ality is such a humble, talented artist with endless career possibilities.
If you have not seen the video or heard the song, then here is the link. Check it out:



            So, without further ado, here are the details from the interview:


Keedy:  What’s the inspiration behind this single, NA-TU-RAL?

Qu'ality: Mom, sisters. That’s the most YOU that you can be. That’s how I like my women.


K.:  Explain the hook of the song:  they come in white, they come in red, they come in yellow, black, or brown and I like ‘em all NA-TU-RAL, all NA-TU-RAL…. You even mention braids and protective styling. First, were you referring to our diverse skin tones; how we come in all shades? And what you know about protective styling?

Qu.:  That’s exactly what I was referring to. I was referring to different skin tones and
different ethnicities. I didn't want to leave anyone out or make them feel left out.
Simply put, I like them all natural. I just pay attention to women and their natural hair and their reasoning behind their protective styles. I watch videos and see a lot of women who are natural, and I just love
it.


K.:  You name-dropped quite a few Natural Sistahs in the song: Poetic Justice, India Arie, Badu, Jill Scott, and Carol’s Daughter. Are you a fan, or what you know about Carol’s Daughter? Does your girlfriend or sisters use those products?

Qu.:  I don’t have a girlfriend, but a couple of years back, my ex-girlfriend used Carol’s Daughter products. Also, there’s a Carol’s Daughter store down in Harlem where I live, so I see it all the time, I walk by it all the time. Yes, I love all the women that I've named in the song.


K.:   I love how you show appreciation for all aspects of Naturalness, because you know how the media tends to portray us (Black Women); and I think it’s ‘bout time somebody rose up to our defense. We can’t thank you enough for doing so.

Qu.:  Thank you. I know a lot of people are surprised to see me do a song like this and are thinking I just did the song just because a lot of people are going natural.  It just seems to be “In” to be Natural.  I didn't realize until after the song how “in” it was to go all natural; because remember, that’s what I was used to seeing anyway. Again, my mom is natural. My sister is natural. I grew up seeing this. So, this wasn't new to me.





K.:  So tell me a little about Qu’ality as an artist. Where you from, how long you been in the game (the music industry)…for those who have never heard of you.

Qu.:  I’m generally from New York. I've been living in Harlem for 13 years.  So, I’ll say I’m from Harlem.  Before that, I've lived in the Bronx. I started rapping at about 13, but didn't realize it was a passion until I was about 19. That’s when I realized I loved it and realized that’s what I wanted to do. So, I started taking it more serious. I started making beats when I was 15. At 19, when I moved out of my house and had my own set-up and nobody telling me to turn the music down, that’s when I realized that oh snap this may be something that I love to do; because at first I was an artist. I've been drawing since I was 3 or 4 years old. I went to a high school for Art Design, and I always thought that that was it, art was my only passion; but then it just switched you know, and now drawing is a hobby and my passion is the music.
When I really started taking it serious…and what I mean by serious, I mean like not looking for a job, but strictly focusing on my music. I started taking it serious around the age of 22. I’ll be 24 this month, but then I realized that this career could really go somewhere. It took a lot of compromise and sacrifice, but I now know that this is what I’m supposed to be doing.  


K.:   I understand that you Produced, Directed, Shot, & Edited this video on your own. That’s great. A multi-talented brotha’. Have you had any Formal training in any of those areas, or is it all pretty much Self-Taught?

Qu.:  No, I haven’t had any formal training in those areas.


K.:  Is this an industry that you've always seen yourself in or something you've always wanted to do? Rapping, Producing, Directing, etc…

Qu.:  Never. As a kid, I never imagined doing something like this. As a kid I've always loved music. My mother would always play artists like Stevie Wonder, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu, Babyface,  etc… My mother sings and does poetry and my father was into art. So, I was always around that. So, eventually I just picked up on shooting and editing videos because I just don’t have time to wait on other people to do it for me. I don’t have time to wait on others to procrastinate. I’m hungry. I gotta’ get this done.  


K.:  Who would you say has most influenced your musical career?  Who are some of your favorite music artists of all time?

Qu.:  Common, Timbaland, Ninth Wonder, Tribe Called Quest, Nas, Lupe Fiasco, Old Kanye West, Bobby Womack, and Old School music in general.


K.:  Looking at the rap artists of today and reflecting back on to the music of back in the day, would you say there’s been a definite change in the music? If so, do you think it’s been a change for the better or has it gone in a totally different direction?

Qu.:  I can’t say it’s been for better or worse, but It has definitely changed. There’s pretty much always going to be an alternative in the music industry. There will always be something out there for everyone to love. You just gotta find what you like to listen to.


K.:  With so much negativity being portrayed in the rap music industry nowadays, how do you remain positive, focused, or driven to go against the mainstream? What makes you different from any other rapper?

Qu.:  The way I was raised had a lot to do with it, my Church background. A lot of people don’t know this, but I was originally a Christian rapper; but I just don’t want people to try and put me in a box by labeling me as just a Christian rapper or a Conscious rapper. I’m very versatile, and I want people to know that. I thank my Mom & God for all of my blessings.




K.:  Are there any artists (rappers or singers) that you wouldn't mind collaborating with? If so, Who?

Qu.:  Anthony Hamilton, Elzhie (Slum Village), Nas, and Common.


K.:  What about future goals for Qu’ality? Are there any hopes or plans to obtain a contract with any Major Labels, or do you plan on staying Independent?

Qu.:  I can’t really say what the future holds, but I am open to record deals.  


K.:  Do you have any tour dates lined up? If so, where can people find out more details?

Qu.:  This Thursday (July 11, 2013) I’ll be at a gig for Source Magazine. Then I have a show coming up on Aug. 16th. I don’t have all the details yet, but it’ll be posted on my InstaGram and Twitter (@QualityOfficial).


K.:  So when you’re not touring or performing, what are you doing for fun and relaxation? Or would you consider yourself a work-a-holic in grind mode right now?

Qu.:  I’m definitely in grind mode right now, but sometimes I just stay home & chill. Because I love what I do, I don’t consider it work.


K.:  Lastly, and certainly not least, is there anything else about Qu’ality that people don’t already know, but you feel they should know? Like for instance, should we be on the Look-out for a Mixtape or an official album release from Qu’ality?

Qu.:  What people don’t know is…I did six mixtapes. 1st one was out in 2008, but only 3 of 6 are available now. I also want people to know that I’m a Positive person who doesn't want to be put in a box as just a Clean or conscious artist.



***If you want to stay connected or in tune with Qu'ality as an artist, follow him on Twitter and Instagram. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Ties

Be Prepared!

Dark Girls Rise!