Mardi Gras 2012



So, I went home for Mardi Gras. I had a great time. I hadn't been to a parade in years. Mardi Gras just hasn't been the same since I was a kid. It used to be more of a Family-Friendly environment, but nowadays there's potential violence.






Nevertheless, there were no fights or shootings in the area we were in. When I say we, I mean my mother, two of my aunts, an uncle, three cousins, and myself.






We went to Zulu & truck parades. The music and smell of food being grilled in the air was quite nostalgic. It made me think of all the great times as a child when the whole family used to go on down to Napoleon & Claiborne Ave. every year for Mardi Gras. That changed as we all got older and as the crime rate increased in New Orleans.






The marching bands rolled on through with their trumpets and horns blaring and drums banging. The Zulu "Tramps", as they were originally called, pranced right along with their Afro wigs, grass skirts, and painted faces.






The floats were vibrantly decorated.



Unfortunately, the Zulu crew weren't throwing as much as they used to. However, I did get more throws from the Truck (Elk & Crescent Classic) parades. I also noticed that some of the beads thrown from the Zulu parade were from 2001 and 2003, which means that they "recycle" their beads.






While visiting home, I had to try and get a King Cake since it's the season for it. Unfortunately, the best King Cake place was closed for the season. I rolled up to to Randazzo's in Metairie, and another customer had just walked up to the door where a sign read "CLOSED". I saw the look on that customer's face, and immediately the same look fell upon my face, the look of disappointment. There were two Randazzo's employees walking from the side of the building, and one of them made a statement. "We're closed for the rest of the season. You can place your orders online. We ship King Cakes year-round."






All I could do was drive away without my Cream Cheese filled King Cake with a frown on my face. My mouth was just watering for that sweet, creamy, fluffy, King Cake. I told myself, "Oh well, at least I know the New Orleans Original Daiquiri Shop isn't going anywhere." So, I stopped at the Daiquiri shop and bought a gallon of "Hurricane" Daiquiri before leaving New Orleans.






I also had to stop at Cafe' du Monde (beignet Cafe) before leaving town. If you've never been to New Orleans, then you must visit at least once. The food, music, drinks, hospitality, & events are enough reasons to pay my hometown of New Orleans a visit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Ties

Be Prepared!

Dark Girls Rise!