No More Big Mommas

My husband and I had been previously reminiscing about our childhoods and how times were back then with our grand or great-grandparents. We both agreed that we now live in an era where there really are no more "Big Mommas". Big Mommas were not only loving and caring, they held the family together. They were the backbone of many African-American families across America!

In many cases, if no one else was there for you, Big Momma could always be called upon or depended on. She was stern, yet sincere. She never was one to bite her tongue, as she believed in telling the truth...regardless if it may hurt your feelings. However, if you needed it and Big Momma had it...you got it! In my case, all I had to do was tell her, "If you don't give me some of your Pepsi, I'm going to cry." Lol...I was spoiled! Rightfully so, because I was the first Great-grandchild and the only child in my Great-grandparents' home. So, when my Great-grandmother (Big Mommie) died when I was 11, of course my entire world changed. Ironically, my maternal grandmother died at the end of the same year that Big Mommie had died. Unfortunately, I never knew my maternal grandfather.

My Great-grandfather (Big Mommie's husband) died years later afterwards at the whopping age of 99! Yep, he had lived a long life. So, of course his funeral was more of a Home-Going Celebration, with the Second-Line band and all.

(Me & Gramp, my Great-Grandfather, in Atlanta 2008 or 2009)


So now, here we are in 2017. Sad to say, but today is the day that I can officially say that I have no more grandparents; because my paternal grandmother just passed away. She'd suffered a massive stroke a few years ago and never fully recovered.

I have so many great memories now to share with my son Zach about his Great-Grandmother whom he never got a chance to meet. With the passing of my grandmother, I can honestly say that I have so many emotions running through me right now: sad, mad, happy, & hurt. However, there are two words that come to mind now that I reflect back on my relationship with my grandmother, and that is Dignity & Respect. She was a dignified woman whom everyone loved and respected.


(Me & MoMo, my paternal Grandmother)

MoMo, may you rest peacefully with your late husband Frank (whom I never met as he died before I was born), your mother Virginia a.k.a. Big Mommie, your father Jordan a.k.a. Gramp,  my maternal grandmother Philonease, and my maternal grandfather Robert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Ties

Be Prepared!

Dark Girls Rise!