"BIG MOUTH"

The other night I was watching the story of Whodini (Old-School Rap Group) on TvOne's show called Unsung, and I had a flashback. It made me think of one of my older cousins, and how he would sing one of Whodini's song to me: "You got a Big Mouth...a Big Mouth...Big Mouth...Big Mouth...You're mouth almighty, tongue everlasting..."

That's because as a child, I talked, and talked, and talked...until I got a little older and got tired of people calling me "Polly" or "Pollyana" or told over and over that I talked too much. So, somewhere or at some point over the years, I just shut down. I stopped talking as much. Then it seemed as though I got extremely quiet and just started writing more. I had to learn to rechannel my thoughts and verbal expressions.

Anyhow...I thought the segment on Whodini was okay. I gotta' say that I don't blame Jalil for making the decision he made to ride out Jive Records, because too many Record Labels try to give Artists the short end of the stick. Not too many of them pay the Artists what they're really worth, which is why I believe so many Artists/Musicians are doing their own thing now. The Record Labels are more concerned about their own bottom-line as opposed to the Artists that bring in the money. It kind of makes me think about the NBA Lockout. What if Artists were to try something like that with their Labels?

Well, now that I think about it more...it would probably never happen, more than likely because of the specifics of their contracts. I don't think music contracts are as negotiable as athletic contracts. However, something needs to be done. Changes need to be made in favor of the Artists. Maybe going Independent is the best route for them once they've built a Fan Base.

Overall, I'm just glad to see that all three of the guys from Whodini are being productive.
My two favorite Whodini songs are: One Love & Freaks Come Out at Night
What's yours?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Ties

Be Prepared!

Dark Girls Rise!